25 Mar 2015

At The Movies | Insurgent

Last weekend I went to see the second instalment of  the Divergent series, Insurgent, after seriously enjoying the first film. We loaded up on popcorn as per usual and made our way to our seats. However I was surprised to see that the cinema room was actually quite empty especially for a film that had only just come out two days before! Maybe everyone was busy that night, who knows?

This action packed, sci-fi squeal is set in a futuristic world where society is split into 'factions' in order to try and keep the peace. Tris Prior is on the run with her boyfriend Four and now the faction system seems to be in ruins. Erudite leader Jeanine has her soldiers on the warpath and all she needs now it's Tris's abilities as a true Divergent to help her find out the meaning of a message left behind hundreds of years ago. Little does she know the price she will pay for her curiosity. 


I read all three of the books a while back (you can read my thoughts here) and I know that I always say to people, who ask, that they should read the books first before seeing the film, however it could be different for this one. Part of me wishes that I had never read the book because it just started to annoy me how much of the book was left out of the film and how the story line had been twisted so much from the original one I know and love. I understand why they added the box that could be opened only by a Divergent successfully completing tasks because it made it a lot easier to follow for all non-bookworms but some of my favourite bits were missing!

There was so much focus on the main characters that all the new ones who are meant to appear in this film like Marlene, Lynn, Uriah and Hector just didn't get enough air time. I was also looking out for Tori's grand entrance but nothing of the sort happened, neither were Zeke or Shauna even mentioned once. And can I just add, WHAT THE HELL happened to the part where they are trying to get to Jeanine's laboratory and where did Marcus go? He just seemed to disappear.

My ten-year-old brother, however, thoroughly enjoyed the fact that there was so much action, violence and GUNS ("Wow! Oooh! Sick!" I believe was his response) but that just annoyed me even more. Since Tris is meant to be petrified of touching guns pretty much throughout the whole thing because of horror that she saw in the last film, yet here she happily picked them up and used them without any trouble what so ever...

Gosh! I'm making this out to be a bad film aren't I? Trust me, I actually enjoyed the the film a lot and it was everything I expected it to be. Also look out for the occasional funny moments coming from Peter, I heard a few giggles going around the cinema then. But it really is lovely to see a young adult with such a strong female lead. Shailene Woodley is terrific (yet I can't help but think of her and Ansel in The Fault In Our Stars) and there was even more girl power than in the first film! I would also advice that you watch/read Divergent again as this film jumps straight into the action within the first 5 minutes, so you won't get bored I promise.

Yet I know that if I had been Veronica Roth, who wrote the books, I would not have been happy with how my story was portrayed. But that's just my opinion.

How you seen it yet? What did you think?
Love Beth xx

2 comments:

  1. Hey lovely,
    This was a great review! I went to see it last weekend as well, and ive got a review sat in my draft box to upload soon. I haven't read the books yet and all my friends are saying I should but I have heard so much about how different they are to the films that I think it would confuse me honestly! I loved the film and it was the same when I went, the cinema was almost empty except from us and a few other families scattered about! Great post lovely x
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.