24 Jul 2015

A Little Letter For My Little Brother

Dear Freckle Face (aka my brother!),

Christmas times means Christmas jumpers in this house!
I'm writing this for my brother today should he ever fall upon this blog, although I have no idea how he would. You will probably skip through all the over 170+ posts on this site but this one would be a good idea to read. That is if you can actually sit still long enough to do that. Where do you 11 year old get their energy from?

Anyway, on Wednesday 22nd July you official left primary school. I don't know where the time has gone. It's crazy! I can still remember when you started all those years ago, although I don't suppose you remember as you were just so young. That school, that routine and those teachers is all you have ever known. It has been your home for the last 7 years of your life and now you are being made to leave. The transition from primary to secondary is massive. It's scary, nerve wracking, weird, exciting and stomach churning all at the same time. But you'll be alright...if I can make it, so can you!

Not to scare you or anything (okay maybe I want to scare you a bit!) but my first few weeks at senior school were rather traumatic. I didn't eat breakfast for about a month because I just felt completely sick to the stomach of the idea of having to get on a bus and travel to a school where I had no idea where the toilets even were. I had become so used to walking that 5 minute walk to primary school, strolling through those blue gates and sitting in that seat by the window, that it is so strange to be thrown into this new environment.

Primary school will forever hold a special place in my heart because my experience was just so perfect and wonderful there. I probably moaned like hell about it at the time but I did love it. Maybe it's just the fact that people always look back at the past with rose tinted glasses, but I do miss that place sometimes. I just wish I could remember more things about that little school, like the things that made me wet myself (not literally!) with laughter or the games we used to play at lunchtime. Its such a shame to get older and loose touch with your childish side.

Senior school is not all bad I suppose because yes, it was where I meet some of the most amazing people but I will forever hate that school for turning me into the self conscious, awkward person that I am now. At times I remember crying myself to sleep at night because I just hated the whole experience and responsibility of it all. I made myself feel so worthless because I constantly compared myself to the other girls and it just destroyed my self confidence completely. But most of all that school is where I become a 'proper' teenager with boobs and a period and body hair. Its just gross and not as glamorous as they make out in High School Musical. But ah, that's what you've got to forward to. Isn't that just great! You probably won't believe me now but everything I just wrote was true. And I just can't wait, as horrible as it sounds, for the day when I can say 'I Told You So'!

So Jack, please don't worry about what others think of you. Do whatever you want to do-within the law of course! There is so much more to life than being cool, so don't try to be somebody you're not. Just because they have (insert the name of the must have item of clothing or gadget) doesn't mean you have to get it as well. Also don't ever make anybody else cry or feel small or worthless or ugly because if you do I will hunt you down and hurt you. You should be helping others and just being a good person. But most importantly don't take school too seriously. Nobody will remember that time you feel over in the muddy puddle in a few years time. Trust me!

And to the girls in your year (please pass on the message): You are beautiful. You are so beautiful and special and one day you will meet the man of your dreams who will love you with all his heart. But you have plenty of time to do all that later! Being single is not the end of the world. So don't rush. Just have fun with your friends and forget about everyone else. If you want to do cartwheels on the field, do it. If you want to have a no makeup day, do it. You don't have to impress anyone.

If only somebody had been kind enough to tell me all this when I was your age. But then again I don't think I would have taken the blindest bit of notice.

So I say make the most of primary school. Hang onto all those precious memories you have of that place. Don't loose contact with your friends when they only live around the corner. It's so sad to leave but you will make new friends soon. And just know that I'll be forever childishly jealous that so many of your friends as going to the same senior school as you, when I practically had nobody.

Anyway, good luck with school and the future and even though you make me so angry and mad sometimes, you'll always be my little brother and somehow that just makes me HAVE to watch out for you! It's like the sibling law.

Lots of love,
Your sister Beth xx

P.s where's that £10 you owe me?

6 comments:

  1. This is SOO cute and sweet. I hope he enjoys it when he's older and stumbles across this blog post.

    US Lifestyle Blog // www.rebekahkoontzsite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he ever stumbles across it that is!

      Delete
  2. This is adorable, I hope one day you can read this together x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Could you imagine how cute that would be? xxx

      Delete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.