4 Jul 2015

Book Log 2015 | July

We are now roughly half way through the year and that means it's time for an update on my Book Log that I started keeping at the beginning of this year to record and remember the books I've read. It started out as more of a project, but has now officially become embedded in my life. You cannot imagine my childish excitement at completing a book and filling in the Book Log detailing my read. It really is great fun to see the pages being filled and looking back over at the ones I read months ago. Obviously my reading progress has been slowed down by GCSEs but I now have the rest of the summer to fill up the pages and cannot wait to see what will grace the paper soon.

Here's a quick look at what I've had my nose in for the past six months: 


Walking Home by Clare Balding
A story of how Britains best loved broadcaster made it onto our radios with her successful Radio 4 show Ramblings in which saw her catch the walking bug. She 15 years later she has since covered 15 hundreds miles of footpaths, tackled apocalyptic thunderstorms, met and listen to the stories of some very interesting people and was one of the lucky few to run the Olympic torch through her home town of Newbury. This is her adventure. 

I absolutely adored this book because not only am I a big fan of Clare's work but the amazing stories that she shares about her walks just made me instantly want to pull on my hiking boots and climb up a mountain. If you're looking for a fun filled, laugh out loud adventure then this book is most definitely for you! 


The Horse Boy by Rupert Isaacson 
When his son Rowan is diagnosed with autism, Rupert and his wife don't know how they can carry on with a child sinking into isolation and barley able to communicate. That is until when one day when Rowan escapes into a horses field and begins to talk. This kick starts the epic horseback journey to Mongolia in the hope that the spiritual home of the horse can help heal Rupert's son and reunite the family back together once more

This was a truly beautiful and moving account which I previously review here.


Insurgent by Veronica Roth
This thrilling squeal to the best seller Divergent is based around Tris learning to accept her future without the support of her friends and family after the brutal attack on their home. She overcome with grief and guilt but must be stronger than ever before as the truth begins to unfold about her world.

This book was probably the one I liked the least out of the three in the trilogy but is still well worth the read. I previously reviewed it here as well as the two other books in the series which has now become a firm favourite on my book shelf. 


To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Set in deep south America during 1930s where racism and prejudism are everyday occurrences, this classic book tells a story through young Scout Finch's eyes about the trail of a black man charged with the rape of a white girl and her father's relentless task of trying to prove him not guilty in the courts.

This is one of the only classic books which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. It is so interesting to read a book set in a time that seems so alien from today's society. How it was once acceptable for people to be treated like dirt just because the colour of their skin and how bias the legal system really was. An emotional roller coaster, youthful and eye opening story from one of the most talented writers this industry has ever seen.


The C-Word by Lisa Lynch 
When Lisa was first  diagnosed with breast cancer, she was overcome by fear and the unknown. But she quickly turned to her Mac and started blogging about the sheer inconvenience and life changing experience of getting cancer at only 28 years old. No detail is too small or insignificant to write about in this brutally honest and humorous true story.  

This book changed my whole outlook on the cruel world of Cancer and is a must read. You can find out more about what I thought when I previously reviewed it here. This review is also currently one of my most viewed posts ever!



Paper Towns by John Green
Quentin Jacobsen has always loved Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So one day when she climbs through his window and invites him on an all-night car adventure, it seems that all his wildest dreams have come true. But the next day she vanishes without a trace, it seems. That is until Q realises that she has in fact left a trail of breadcrumbs and they are for him. 

This is the second John Green book I have read and I can say that I have well and truly fallen in love with his writing. This book is so beautiful and is all about the fact that society and the media has now become so powerful that it has the ability to fold and change people like paper so they are no long individuals but just those cut-out paper people holding hands. Margo is different and I suppose that's what Q attracted to. And the clues that are left are so original and imaginative that you are instantly drawn in. An interesting and fun packed book that you won't be able to put down.


No Rest For The Wicked by Dane Cobain* 
Father Montgomery, an priest with a secret past, begins to investigate after his parishioners come under attack from the Angels. They are naked and terrifying sci-fi creatures that speak in dreadful harmony and whose only task is to rid the world of sin, one person at a time. When Montgomery's friend Jones is attacked, the old priest knows he has to act fast. He speaks to the Angels and organises a final showdown where he makes the ultimate sacrifice. 

I was sent No Rest For The Wicked* to review by the lovely Dane and I'll be honest when I say that this isn't the type of book that I would normally pick to read. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually quite enjoyed it although I would not recommend reading it at night as the Angles frankly terrified me. I love how the chapters kept flicking backwards and forwards to past as you got to learn more about the characters back story, but think some of those stories could have been developed further a little in order to thicken the plot. Yet it was still a truly thrilling book to read by an equally thrilling author.

Noughts And Crosses by Malorie Blackman 
Sephy is a Cross- a member of the dark skinned ruling class. Callum is a Nought- a 'colourless' member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since as long as they could remember but out the blue a romance starts to build between the two. But will it ever work in a world full of racism and terrorism? Or will the personal sacrifices be too high?

This book, written in a very interesting parallel world, is one of the most thought provoking books I have read in a long while and really makes you see are pathetic it is to single out a group of people just bases on their appearances. The plot is action packed and emotional with lots of twists and turns. I cried on several occasions and that just proves to me what a brilliant read this really was. I dare anyone to thumb through it and not come out the other side with a different perspective of the world.


What have you been reading so far this year?
Love Beth xx

Some of these products may have been sent for review. Please see my disclaimer to find out more. 




2 comments:

  1. Noughts And Crosses sounds like a great read, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you ever do read it :)

      Delete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.