10 Jul 2015

Custard + White Chocolate Biscuits



It may come as a surprise to you to find that after so many years spent baking in the kitchen, I have never actually made biscuits! I've iced pre-brought shop ones to sell at fairs and made out they were my own (we've all done it!) but never made some from scratch. You see my family's deep rooted love for cake means that when I do get around to baking they are constantly pestering me to make CAKE, MORE CAKE! And who can blame them? My cakes are amazing, if I do say so myself and that isn't arrogance you spy there lovelies. That is the truth! 

What it comes down to at the end of the day though is that when I find something I like I stick at it. Like glue. The cake recipes I have found and perfected by tweaking temperatures and ingredient quantities taste really good. And I guess I keep returning to them because I know people will like them and I'm confident that I wouldn't horribly burn them or add salt instead of sugar. Biscuits dough just isn't something I'm familiar with like I am with cake mixture- unless you count Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice cream that is! But it's never too late the push the boat out and give it a whirl. What's the worse that can happen? 

Surprisingly, the biscuits were super easy to make. The dough kind of feels like bread dough, expect much tastier, and they take only 15 minutes per batch to cook in the oven! The only problem I had with them was that I made the first tray of biscuits too big so they turned into cookies once out the oven. It really is astonishing for something without baking powder in it to expand THAT much in the heat. So learn from my mistakes people, walnut size balls. No bigger. 


Ingredients 

140g butter
175g golden caster sugar 
225g self-raising flour
85g custard powder 
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract 
85g white chocolate chip 

-Pre-heat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4 and line 3 baking trays with baking parchment.

-Mix the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl with a whisk, to form a fluffy mixture. Then sift in to the flour and custard powder before adding the egg and vanilla extract. 

-Whisk until a soft, brown dough has formed- try not to eat half of it like I did. 

-Use to hands to gather and roll the dough into a ball, before working in the white chocolate chips. 

-Roll the dough into balls no bigger than a walnut because they will expand twice that size in the oven. Place them out on the baking tray, allowing for spreading, and use your thumb to flatten them out a bit. 

-Bake for 12-15 mins, be careful not burn them or they will be too hard to eat. 

-Remove, cool on a wire rack and enjoy! 






Love Beth xx

2 comments:

  1. Yum! These look really nice, I do love some white chocolate! I really like baking biscuits, I've done it quite a lot because I didn't have any tins when I moved house so for biscuits you only need a tray! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes biscuits are surprisingly easy to make and don't leave lots of mess! Would love to hear some of your recipes xx

      Delete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.