15 Jul 2015

Dear People Who Call Me Skinny...


Source
There has been a lot of body shaming going around in the press recently- which celebrities have wobbly bits and which ones could 'do with a good meal'. Society is constantly criticizing woman's bodies and that is not okay anymore. How can you be shouting from the rooftops that somebody 'looks like a beached whale' and the next accusing another person of starving themselves? When will the media ever be happy?

I am currently just under 8 stone (112 lbs) and a size 8, which many people are surprised to hear that this is the ideal weight of a girl my age. Yet over the years I have had comments directed my way with people saying "Ah Bethany you are so skinny" and "Look at my belly flab bet you never have to deal with that problem" and so on and so forth. While some people might consider being called skinny a compliment- it severely offends me. You might as well be accusing me of having an eating disorder which is both completely untrue because I do not stop eating or have ever dieted in my entire life and completely insensitive to people who are well and truly in the terrible grasps of an eating disorder.

It should never okay to go up to somebody and call them fat or large or big or big boned or whatever words you use to try and soften the blow. So please could somebody explain to me how it then can be right  to go up to somebody and call them skinny? I for one did not choose to be this way. It is not my fault that my collar bone protrude a little bit more than it probably should or that I have the thigh gap that many people would crave. I don't really exercise as much as I should and have an slight addiction to eating cake mixture straight from the bowl. What can I say, I have a fast metabolism and good genes. It's not my fault.

I think that people assume because I am slimmer (yes that is a better word thankyouverymuch!) than them that I don't have body hangups. That I don't look in the mirror and am slightly upset by what I see. That the idea of frolicking on the beach in a bikini doesn't fill me with dread. Because it does. I don't have 'the perfect body' just like we know that the models we see on TV and in magazines don't have the perfect body...because the perfect body isn't real. Photoshop, people! Nobody wakes up like that.

The internet is chock-a-block with these new crazes that seem to pop up out of nowhere with young girls and boys attempting to show the world how 'skinny' they are. They upload pictures of their bikini 'bridges', coins piled up in the hollow of their collar bones and an arm wrapped around their back trying to reach their belly button. And all I want to do is shake them and ask why the hell they are doing this? What do they think this will achieve? Trust me, you don't want to be skinny.

So for the record: 

I don't need to put some meat on my bones. (I really wanna put because I'm a vegetarian here, but I'm not!)

Neither am I a bag of bones.

I'm not a twig. More like a small to medium sized log.

And I very much doubt that I'm going to blow away in the wind.

I'm sorry if the fact you can see my ribs somehow offends you.

If I work out it's because I want to be healthier not loose weight.

I have insecurities with my body too, deal with it.

And I do actually eat stuff. Just so you know.

So yeah, I just felt I had to write this because it's not fair to comment on people's weight. 8 stone or 18 stone, we are all beautiful human beings. With feelings. And fists that will bloody punch your lights out if you offend us again. You've had your chance. Fat and skinny are not nice words anymore. Lets stop using them.

Love Beth xx

6 comments:

  1. It's really brave that you shared a post like this. You are completely right - the society we live in are awful for shaming other peoples bodies when it's really what's on the inside that counts. People just really need to take in account that we all have feelings.

    Becky
    Blogger & The Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! Its nice to know people enjoy what I write

      Delete
  2. I love that you wrote this post and what you said is so true. I am like you in that I'm quite slim naturally but people have siad comments to me such as 'go eat a burger' - some people are so annoying and don't think before they speak!

    Laura x
    fbl-savvy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum used to tell me 'if have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all' and I live by those words!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I loved this post! Such a unique post and it definitely needed to be said. No one should experience any kind of body shaming!

    Chloe x
    www.chloepaigee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Chloe xx

      Delete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.