16 Aug 2015

Guest Post: Being Independent

How are you all? At the moment I have just finished my 2nd residential week of NCS and am moving onto a week of planning and carrying out a community project to enrich the lives of the locals where I live. Exciting stuff! Over in blog world, this is the very last guest post I have for you all and I do really hope you enjoyed the ones I have shared. It's the first time I have allowed so many other bloggers to share this space with me and will definitely do it again in a heartbeat. Today's post was specially written by Aria from Girl in a Whimsical Land to tie in with the posts I sometimes write about being a teenager. And it is a very good post at that: 


I don’t know about you, but when I was a teenager the one thing I craved the most (apart from an iPod) was independence. I always craved more of it, always wanting to believe that I could do everything and hating my parents for nagging me all the time. Now that I look back on it, I know that I wouldn’t have been able to handle the life that I wanted so much. That being said, if I had to go back in time and make my younger self seem more in control of her life, there are several things I would tell her to do.

If you’re someone who has really high expectations of yourself and feel like there are other people always affecting your decisions, this might help you. I’ve put together a few simple things that make me feel like I can fight the world on my own, when in reality I probably can’t. What matters is the way it makes me feel at the end of it because everyone craves to be happy more than anything else in life.

Learn to drive.
If you’ve reached the legal age in your country, definitely learn to drive. Do not put it off for later like I did. Nothing can empower you more than driving. Knowing that you have ultimate control over a vehicle will have a positive impact on your self-esteem, especially if you tend to doubt yourself a lot.

You might be reading this and thinking “Driving? Really? That’s what you’re going with?” But have you ever felt like you need to get away without really knowing how to do that? Getting in a car and driving around aimlessly can fix that feeling. You can go places without going too far. For now.
That being said, always drive responsibly. If you come to love driving, this will come automatically. You’ll watch out for your friends who will be riding with you and at the end of a night out and feel more accomplished than any exam has ever made you feel.

Organize an Event
I don’t mean a large scale event with a hundred sponsors. That’ll happen in time. Planning something on a much smaller level like a birthday party for a friend or a dinner party takes just as much effort as planning something on a much larger scale. Planning the whole thing by yourself and dealing with a lot of last minute problems and still managing to pull off a successful get-together is a feeling that is unparalleled! Not to mention all the compliments you’ll receive!

Do your own laundry!
Seems a bit lame to include this here but I had to! I never did my own laundry growing up. I always relied on my mom for clean clothes and I’d always complain about never being able to wear my favourite top when I really wanted to wear it. All that changed one weekend when my parents were out of town and desperation drove me to figure out how exactly the washing machine worked.
Laundry is by far the most boring chore in my books, but I never have to worry about having clean clothes to wear. Going with the whole “Look good, feel good” outlook on life, you’ll never have a bad day if you’re dressed to the nines and the only way you can ensure that you do so, is by handling your own washing. Also, knowing that you can handle simple everyday chores that you otherwise might ignore can definitely make you feel like you can do anything on your own and not have to depend on anyone else.

Be responsible.
The way I see it, responsibility and independence go hand in hand. You can’t expect to be given an unlimited amount of freedom and do whatever you please. You have to have the mentality to be able to face the consequences of your actions. Everyone wants to be reckless, bold and daring but they rarely ever think about the reactions caused by their actions. My tip is to have fun but not to go overboard. Know where to draw the line and think of the repercussions of your actions and words. It isn’t very mature to get into petty fights or to harm someone out of foolishness, whether physically or emotionally.

Try Something New
Always keep yourself active. Try new things all the time, never be opposed to learning. Knowing more makes you smarter and more open to a lot of information. If nothing else, it’ll help you meet more people and networking is super important in the present day and age. Never give up on an opportunity and don’t think so much that you miss it or talk yourself out of it. Everything you do now will help you get to where you want to be so never sacrifice your priorities.

These are my five quick tips to making you feel more independent. Actually achieving it takes time and patience and I hope that you achieve all that you want someday. If you have anything to add, do let me know!

You can find get more of Aria on:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.