28 Aug 2015

Top 6 Places To Visit In England

I'll admit that however amazing and Instagram worthy travelling sounds (and looks!), I'm not big on the whole thing. I'd love to be the type of person who could spontaneously book a flight to some exotic island on the other side of the world but a) I have a MAHOOSIVE fear of flying b) I'm not a spontaneous person at all and c) I don't think my wallet would stretch that far! 

So consequently, I have found many a holiday spent here in England. Obviously, when you think of England most people will probably think of wet weather, afternoon tea and the Queen. And I know for most people that doesn't sound much like a holiday destination that everyone would be flocking to at the drop of a hat. But trust me, having lived in England all my life, I know there is so much more to this country than meets the eye. Yes, we may all apologies more often than we should and yes, the kettle is almost always boiling away, but English people know how to have a good time and the best places to go to make those times happen.

Having not been abroad for over 10 years, I have built up a very reliable travel catalog of some of the best and most beautiful places to visit in England. And I will warn you now that after reading this you may soon be cancelling your flight to Spain and booking a cosy cottage in the middle of no where because obvs your social media accounts need some snaps of trees and countryside, like now: 


Becky Falls, Devon: One of my absolute favourite places to visit is the iconic Becky Falls, voted as The Top Beauty Spot In Devon. We went on a short break there last summer and I was blown away by the place. The way that one minute you are walking along a busy main road and the next you are in stunning forest that looks as though it has come straight out of a fairy tale book. You could literally spend the day there walking through forest that has not changed since it was first open to the public in 1903, climb to the very top of the beautiful waterfall after completing the bolder clamber and finish your visit with a well earned trip to the cafe- FYI get the Victoria Sponge,it is to die for! There is just something so magical about this place and every time I look at the pictures from our visit I just want to go back and explore some more!


North Yorkshire Moors, Yorkshire: I spent much of childhood running across these very moors, where nature has really and truly taken over and transformed the landscape into a place of outstanding natural beauty. Shaped over generations, the moors are peaceful, rich with history and welcoming to all who visit. There is nothing quite like taking a drive through the tangles of county roads, climbing up the hills and catching sight of the wild sheep that roam free.

Source
Alum Bay, Isle Of Wight: A few years ago we drove down to the Isle Of Wright and was welcomed with such sunshine and heat that you could have mistaken it for a Caribbean island. No lie, I actually got a tan and that does not happen often! Is it any surprise then that we spent most of the time there sunbathing on beautiful Alum Bay? It is a very popular destination for visitors to the Isle Of Wight and is a small bay covered in stones, flanked by multi-coloured sweeping sand cliffs. After taking a dip in the water, we sat and enjoyed the view of the famous Needles rock formation that the Isle is so well known for. Very Instagram worthy indeed!

Source
Stonehenge, Wiltshire: This prehistoric monument and one of the wonders of the world, has been standing in the middle of no where for millions and millions of years. Even today people are still unsure about it's purpose but the fact remains that it is truly a place of mystery and magic so no wonder people will come from miles around just to see the amazing architecture and walk in the footsteps of our Neolithic ancestors. For a history buff like myself it was a once in a life time chance to see it and I was totally blown away by the hugeness of those stones! I mean how is something like that even possible?


Brownsea Island, Dorset: This beautiful island can only be accessed by boat and is the largest of the islands surrounded Poole Harbour in Dorset. It is owned by the National Trust so as you can imagine Brownsea has some wonderful natural habitats that create a haven for all kinds of wildlife like the very rare red squirrel, kingfishers and lots of peacocks. It really does make for the most perfect family outing if you are ever in that area!


Tower of London, London: For years I have been walking past this fortress in the heart of London and always wanted to go inside to discover over 1000 years of British history. When I finally did get my hands on some tickets I was flipping ecstatic! From enjoying the spectacular display of the Crown Jewels and some of the most priceless pieces of jewelry in the world to seeing replicas of terrifying torture instruments and the Scaffold Site where the great names of history died, it was a heck of a day! Why you are at you can even take a quick look around London at the same time.

____

So as you can see I'm not completely mad. England is actually a wonderful country full of a number of places of outstanding natural beauty, history and wildlife that you won't see anywhere else. Okay, the weather might be a bit crappy sometimes and we don't have anything near as beautiful as the Taj Mahal, but there are some flippin' nice places right here on our very doorstep too. 

So please don't get sucked into the beautiful holiday snaps you see on some blogger's feeds. They aren't always as perfect as you think- filters can hide a multitude of sins! Yes it may be nice to  jet off to Marbella or Turkey for two weeks in the summer, but there are plenty of adventures and Instagram worthy snaps to be taken right here in the UK for half the frickin' price.

You can't really argue with that now can you? 


What are you favorite places to visit in England?
Love Beth xx

6 comments:

  1. I loved the tower of London, when I went back in year 8 at school! I live right on the doorstep of Stonehenge but I have never been! Great post x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm a massive history buff so things like the Tower Of London and Stonehenge just excite me. We are so lucky in this country to have such much history surrounding us!

      Delete
  2. I love a good staycation, I basically spent every holiday in my childhood going to different places in England! The North Yorkshire Moors were wonderful, and I'd love to go back to the Isle of Wight, it's been years and years since I visited. Lovely post :) xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore the Isle of Wight! I would go back every single year if I could- you defo should go back too x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the recommendations. I visited Stonehenge when I was studying abroad in the UK but many of these other places are places I have not yet visited.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want any more recommendations you can always pop me an email and I'd be happy to help x

      Delete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx

Blog Design by gatto.